Thursday, June 17, 2010

Office Politics: The Birthday Lunch

I rarely go out to lunch. I prefer to work out at lunch and eat at my desk. Today was an exception to that rule. In my department I am part of a group of women that go out to lunch to for our birthdays, and we celebrated a birthday today.

We went to Django and I ate a huge lunch. I had a veggie burger with fries. Django has fries so good they have ruined fries for me. I only order them at Django. As it was a birthday dinner we ordered one dessert and shared it. I had two delicious bites of a flourless chocolate cake. I was stuffed. And sleepy. It was hard to concentrate in the afternoon.

When I work out I feel energized and awake. I head back to my desk ready to attack the ever growing pile of projects. This afternoon I couldn't focus.

This morning I had a great workout. I did 25 on the robotic exoskeleton and 10 on the elliptical. Mandee overslept, so I pushed myself a little harder.

I wasn't planning on working out tonight, as I was scheduled to donate blood. During the pre-donation screening I found out that you can't donate blood for a year after you go see Mayan ruins. So I came home and contemplated my next move. I opted for running. It was an odd choice, what with the heat index being 100 when I started and all, but I was in the mood to be outside. I was much slower than yesterday and only went two miles. It still felt great.

I tracked my food today. I'm worried about tomorrow, as we're heading to Taki to meet some friends. I have a tendency to eat too much sushi and drink too many saki bombs. I think I'll offer to drive and eat a small lunch. That way I won't do too much damage.

How do you plan ahead when you know you'll be faced with lots of drinking and eating?

1 comment:

  1. The only thing I can do is preemptively exercise. Then not drink too many non-wine beverages. Calories add up quickly for booze, but wine isn't too bad. People say to plan ahead what you're going to eat, but if you're really hungry, that doesn't work. Sometimes I have some fruit before I go so I'm not too hungry, but I have a problem controlling if it's food that I wouldn't make at home and I'm super hungry. You'll do fine. I know it!

    ReplyDelete